BFLA is the only non-profit, non-government organization in Belize that focuses exclusively on sexual and reproductive health and rights. Through its network of six clinics BFLA provides general health services in addition to gynecological care, Pap tests, pregnancy tests, abortion services, pre- and post-natal services, child immunization, and STI and HIV testing. The outreach program runs from three mobile clinics, which offer family planning information and services in areas that are not easily accessible.
BFLA is developing a reputation as a national leader in shaping youth-friendly services. Our program provides health care in a welcoming space and relies on peer educators to lead outreach activities in schools and communities countrywide. BFLA focuses much of its efforts on meeting the sexual and reproductive health needs of a wide range of young people, including incarcerated youth, sex workers, and LGBTQ youth. It trains volunteers, health personnel, teachers, pharmacists, and community leaders to educate teenagers in and out of school.
BFLA trains 150 peer educators annually to provide support to youth in schools across Belize.
For BFLA, sexual and reproductive health care is not simply a matter of imparting information about STIs or designing activities to increase contraception use. It focuses on supporting the individual as a whole by providing role models, stability, and a sense of belonging. In 2013, BFLA provided nearly 67,000 high-quality, low-cost services to all segments of the population.
The following are a list of our partners.
• International Planned Parenthood Federation Western Hemisphere Region (IPPF/WHR)
• Government of Belize
• Caribbean Family Planning Affiliation (CFPA)
• SUMMIT Foundation
• Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO)
• United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
• United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
• United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
• Population Services International (PSI)
• Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA)
• Many local agencies/organizations from civil society, education and the private sector.